Chapter 40: Tuesday

Rubble at World Trade Center on September 11, 2001

(This is chapter 40 of my ongoing memoir of the Internet industry. An earlier version of this chapter was published on this site in March 2003 as “A Story Without a Moral, A Day in Dust”.)

Bob Dylan’s new album “Love and Theft” was hitting the streets on September 11, 2001. I was building his website, and by the last week of August I knew I was in trouble.

Dan Levy and I had thrown Dylan’s earlier “Time Out Of Mind” website together easily with Perl and a whole lot of BBEdit in 1997. Now these software tools were considered primitive (they were) but I hadn’t realized how difficult Java-based server-side programming would be. I’d done some graphic Java programming back in 1996, and I’d built the JSP pages for the iVillage UK message boards (while Evan and Jim handled the server side) and for LitKicks. But now I was responsible all by myself for two complex server-side applications: Jive message boards, which worked fine, and a Lucene search engine for all of Bob Dylan’s lyrics, which was dragging badly.

Dan wanted a full working preview on Friday, September 7. It wasn’t ready, and I was starting to panic. I didn’t want Dan to know how far behind I was, so I started avoiding his calls. My kids stay with me on weekends, so I got almost no work done Saturday or Sunday morning. I brought them back to Meg Sunday afternoon, and began digging in for an all-nighter.

It was stupid of me to think that I could just cruise in, grab some open source Java code and deliver a perfect application in a couple of weeks. Furious at my own bad judgment, I spent Sunday evening staring in dismay at oblique error messages, wondering what would happen if Tuesday, September 11 rolled around and the site was still not ready. The “” URL was going to appear on the CD’s liner notes, and since URLs were novel on CD packages in 2001, it was important that the site be in good shape once everybody showed up. What had I gotten myself into? Sony Music was not going to hold off the release of the CD because Levi Asher was getting Java runtime errors. I felt like I was facing one of the worst and most visible deadline fuckups of my life.

On Monday morning, September 10, I finally had a breakthrough and solved the error that had been plaguing the system. But I now had a ridiculous amount of catchup design work to do before the site could be launched. Monday the 10th was a no-leave-the-apartment day, a caffeine frenzy, eat-with-one-hand and type-with-the-other day. Midnight rolled around, it was Tuesday, the morning of the release date, and I was officially late.

I was pounding away while sending status updates via Instant Messenger to Dan (and also using AIM to bemoan my hard work to Caryn, there for moral support). Dan had been working hard on final site touches, and now wanted to see my search engine so he could go to sleep. I told him I couldn’t show it to him yet and pleaded with him to give me a few more hours and check with me in the early morning.

I plugged and plugged away, bleary and fuzzy-brained but highly focused. By 4 a.m. on the morning of September 11 the site seemed to be operating. Except that I was too exhausted to be able to tell if it was really working or not. I had a long list of corrections I still needed to work on — broken graphics, typos, bad links — but there was no way I could apply my brain to them now. The site was live, and I decided to get a few hours sleep and then get back to work. I set my alarm clock for 8 am, left my computer running, and lay back on my bed to fall asleep.

I woke up at 8 a.m., feeling tremendously good. The site hadn’t crashed during my four hours of sleep, which felt like a minor miracle. I wandered into the kitchen, tired but energized by the fact that I had managed to just barely hit the deadline, and made coffee. I usually read the Times in the morning but today I had to shut out the world and get right to work. I brought my cup of coffee back to my desk and put a shuffle mode of three Dylan CD’s into my CD player (I like to listen to Bob Dylan in shuffle-mode when I work on his website).

I picked up my hand-scribbled list of final changes and corrections, most of them cosmetic items of the time-consuming but not mentally-challenging variety, and started tearing through them one by one. I felt totally “in the zone”.

My TV was off, and I was signed off AIM because I didn’t want Dan to pop on and find out how many errors I was still fixing. If he asked, I’d have to be honest and tell him, but if he didn’t ask, I figured it was unlikely he’d find them all himself. Since I was using my apartment’s single phone line for my dial-up Internet connection, I was completely cut off from the outside world.

My windows were open as always to the fresh noises of Times Square, five floors below. My small Manhattan one-bedroom was on the sixth floor of an old converted hotel on 47th Street between 6th and 7th, above a cheap Turkish restaurant, right next door to the Palace Theatre, across the street from the Broadway TKTS booth. I usually heard a lot of street sounds — cabs honking, panhandlers panhandling, tourists talking — and I heard nothing unusual this morning. I pounded away on my bugs list, enjoying my shuffle-mode, completely oblivious to what was going on in the city outside my window.

At 8:47, I might have been listening to “On A Night Like This” from “Planet Waves”. At 9:03, maybe I was listening to “What Good Am I?” from “Oh Mercy”. At 9:38, it could have been “New Pony” from “Street-Legal”. I worked, worked, worked.

By 10:30 the site was looking pretty good and I started my final review of all the pages to make sure everything worked. At 11 I was ready to tell Dan that the site was now officially perfect. I knew he would be waiting for me online, so I popped up my IM window to tell him the good news. But Dan wasn’t on IM. Instead, two friends quickly greeted me with the same message: “Are you okay?”

I didn’t expect my friends to be so concerned about my Dylan deadline. I wrote back “Sure” to one of them, and asked the other one “Yeah — why not?”. The second friend replied, “Don’t be funny with me”. I replied “What’s going on?”, grabbed my TV zapper and turned on CNN.

I saw something about the Pentagon on fire. Then I heard something about airplanes hitting the World Trade Center. Since the towers are visible in the distance from my street corner, I IM’d “I’ll be right back” to both friends, logged off and scrambled to put my shoes on, intending to go outside and see what was going on. By logging off I had freed up my phone line, and at that very moment the phone rang. It was my friend Lauren, who worked at an advertising agency a few blocks from where I lived. “I’m right downstairs,” she said. I said “What’s going on?” I told her I’d meet her outside, threw clothes on and left.

Lauren began filling me in, but I couldn’t comprehend what she was saying. She said that both towers had collapsed. “Collapsed?” I said. “What do you mean, collapsed?” There was no such thing. We were in the street, and we walked to the busy corner of 47th and Broadway, the TKTS booth corner, where we saw a strange site: a bunch of people had climbed into the back of a large truck and were standing up in the trailer as somebody rolled the back door closed on them. Where were they going? When do you ever see people standing up in the trailer of a truck and driving away?

“What the fuck is going on?” I said. Lauren had trouble understanding that I was really completely in the dark, that I was the only one in New York City, maybe the only one in the world, who had not seen it on TV or heard it on the radio.

She started explaining but I kept questioning her. She described the TV footage of the airplane crashing into the south tower, and demonstrated to me with her hands how it had sliced right through the walls. My only reaction was denial. It didn’t seem believable, and I made her repeat her words several times.

We had instinctively begun walking south, towards the towers. “Where are we going?” she asked. My only instinct was to go down there, to see how we could help. As we walked I got my first glimpse way down 7th avenue — since I hadn’t seen it on the news — of the gigantic cloud of pure white smoke that hung lazily over the southern tip of Manhattan island. The cloud seemed to encompass the towers, and was easily as tall, so that it was easy for me to believe that the towers were still there, inside that gentle ball of smoke. I had an image in my mind of towers with broken tops, a few floors fallen in.

Many New Yorkers who remember this day talk about how beautiful the weather was. What they say is true. It was a perfect and rare September day, the sky blue as a painting, the air crisp and pleasingly cool with just a touch of a warm, welcoming breeze. There was no chaos around us, just a lot of dazed faces of Times Square tourists and regulars, and a few scenes of confused attempts to organize relief efforts (like that truck bizarrely filled with people). It was impossible to connect the scene of normality around me with the words Lauren was saying. We kept walking.

Lauren was dressed for a day at work and a date afterwards, and it was not easy for her to walk in her flowered white dress and high-heeled shoes. She asked again if we’d be better off stopping in a bar or restaurant to watch what was happening on TV. I stubbornly insisted that we keep walking. The World Trade Center was about 80 blocks away, but I knew that the West Side Highway promenade would get us there fast without stopping for street traffic, and I led Lauren westward towards the highway.

Streams of people were on the West Side promenade. A few, like us, were walking towards the round white cloud of smoke, but many more were walking away from it. Lauren suggested that this was probably a hint we should take, but I wouldn’t listen. As we walked I made her tell me yet again what she’d seen on the TV news. She’d only been watching it from storefront windows while wandering the street after leaving work, so she didn’t know many facts. She had no idea who was believed to be responsible. There were no well-known enemies of the USA, at least as far as we knew on that morning.

I tried to use my cell phone to call Meg and Elizabeth in Queens. The calls wouldn’t go through. We walked on, and around 23rd Street we saw a sight that made us begin to realize what exactly we were were walking towards. It was a burly, older fireman in full uniform, completely covered in dust and dirt. His face was streaked, his hair and walrus mustache caked in gray ash. He was walking quickly uptown, and did not seem to want anybody to say a word to him. Lauren and I looked at each other. This was really happening.

We began to ponder how many people might have died. We discussed the horrific idea of airplanes full of passengers smashing into buildings, and what this must have been like for the innocent victims. We talked with some relief about the fact that many New Yorkers typically arrive at work a few minutes late, so that most offices would not have been even half full by 9 in the morning. Neither Lauren nor I had friends who worked in the towers, so we did not feel the personal agony of fear that many other New Yorkers were feeling that morning. I told her as we walked about the one time I had gone to a business meeting in one of the towers. I had been working for a banking software company and we’d been on a sales call to Fuji Bank. I told her about the incredible cleanliness of the Fuji Bank offices, the rock-garden Japanese perfection, so unlike offices of American banks, which tended to look professional but hectic. I remembered the faces of the two Japanese businessmen we had met with. It had been the only time in my life I had ever been called upon to execute a polite Japanese bow, which I remember I only performed very slightly and without much enthusiasm — bowing is not my style. I had also been instructed to carefully study each business card I received, instead of shoving it carelessly into my pocket as Americans do with each other’s business cards.

I had many memories of the World Trade Center, actually. I’d even once eaten at Windows on the World, a swanky place, to celebrate my engagement to Meg with Mom and Gene and her Mom and stepfather.

Lauren and I reached the Chelsea Piers, where a sports center had recently opened and where I often took my kids for golf swings or batting practice. We asked a parking lot owner if we could use a restroom and he let us in. Everybody we talked to had a look in their eyes that I could only describe as crazed calm. We were crazed because of what was happening, but we were calm because we knew that we were not the victims, we were the observers, and that it would not be helpful for any of us to require attention when others needed it more. I guess you could say the crazed aspect was real, the calm aspect necessary.

I kept dialing Meg and Elizabeth but couldn’t get through. Around Franklin Street, only about ten blocks north of the Trade Center, I finally got through to Daniel, my 10 year old son, on the home phone. He was confused, hyper, not upset or scared but definitely shocked. I asked him what the TV news was saying and he said something about Afghanistan being responsible. It was a shaky phone connection and we were cut off after about thirty seconds.

At Franklin Street we were looking directly up at the enormous white cloud, close enough to see a haze of tan dust hanging over the ground directly in front of us. We now were regularly seeing pedestrians with their skin and clothes covered in this tan dust, the same kind of dust that had covered the fireman walking north on the West Side Highway. A police van was blocking off pedestrians to allow emergency vehicles to get through, and it was clear that we could not walk any further down this street.

We were in front of the Tribeca Grand Hotel, and a deli was open on the opposite corner. We went in but realized there was nothing either of us could think of eating or drinking, so we stepped back outside. At the southern corner near the police van, a few people were organizing an impromptu volunteer’s brigade. But there were about fifty people wanting to volunteer, and nobody apparently needing their help. Days later, we would hear about the vast waves of medical emergency volunteers who were at this moment rushing into Manhattan from all over New Jersey, Long Island, upstate New York and Connecticut, bringing with them the best medical equipment in the world, only to find out that there were no survivors to save.

Lauren and I stood with the volunteer brigade for a minute or two. But it seemed pointless, and I wanted to keep walking. I don’t know why I was so insistent on going directly to the site of the disaster, except that this was my city, these were buildings I knew intimately, and like many New Yorkers, walking is what I do when I’m not standing still. It wasn’t that I had any reason to continue; it was more like I had no reason not to. Lauren didn’t want to go any further and considered going back alone to her apartment in Greenwich Village, not far from where we were standing now, but she begrudgingly agreed to keep walking with me, for no reason that either of us could explain.

Since I’d worked on Wall Street in lower Manhattan for over two years, I knew every street of this dense and ancient downtown neighborhood. Downtown Manhattan was the original site of New York City itself (midtown Manhattan, with its Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center and Times Square, was a later creation), and most of the streets, unlike the broad boulevards of midtown, were tight and crooked. Lauren and I circled southeast, towards the Brooklyn Bridge and the old Five Points area. We crossed Mulberry Street and stopped at a Church in Chinatown where the neighborhood residents had set up a relief center for victims.

This seemed to be a gathering spot for people who wanted to talk, including many covered in dust who had obviously been near the towers when they fell. We stopped to listen to one young Hispanic man tell the story, in a feverish but steady voice, of how he had been in the South Tower in the morning, how he’d simply walked down the stairs to safety. He wore a white shirt, covered with dust, and his tie hung loosely around his collar. An impromptu crowd had gathered to listen to him, but he didn’t have much else to say.

Fulton Street, near the entrance to South Street Seaport, was where the dust cloud began. Lauren is a professional singer (she had been a member of The Washington Squares, a popular 80s band, and was currently recording a new album and performing torch songs in nightclubs). She was worried about her voice and very reluctant to walk into the cloud of dust. Of course she was right, but I irrationally told her that we could not stop now. We stepped into the tan haze.

A few others were also wandering aimlessly on these deserted streets. Many of them held napkins or handkerchiefs in front of their mouths, and Lauren briefly did the same before she decided it wasn’t worth the bother. We walked through the tan haze down Pearl Street, a wide and modern avenue on the east side of Manhattan’s southern tip. On both sides of Pearl Street were parked cars literally caked in fallen dust, about half an inch thick. I scooped up some of the dust with my hand and examined it. It seemed to be a mixture of two substances — a woolly fiberglass and a fine, moist powder. No matter where it had fallen, it all seemed to have the same exact odd composition of these two substances.

Improbably, a corner deli was open on Pearl Street, and we walked inside to got a break from the air outside. About a dozen people were gathered there, all with the same poignant faces — crazed calm — that we had been seeing all day. I bought a Tigers Milk bar from the sad-looking young Asian man at the cash register, who managed a calm and polite smile.

We walked on, down Pearl Street. We made a right turn onto Wall Street, where I’d worked as a computer programmer at JP Morgan. By the time I left the financial market to join “Silicon Alley” I’d grown to hate my bureaucratic, Dilbert-like job with a passion, and up until this moment I’d still regarded all of Wall Street with some derision and contempt. Now, this famous street was transformed into a scene from the planet Mars. The dust covered everything. We were only a few blocks away from the site of the towers, and papers and debris fluttered in the breeze around us. I picked up a few pieces of paper, financial documents and import records, burned neatly at the edges. I found a manila folder and placed some papers inside (I still have these papers as my only relic of the day). Outside the classical-columned Citibank building I picked up a women’s high-heeled shoe. “Do you think this came off somebody?” I asked Lauren, trying to wrap my brain around the horrible thought that the owner of the shoes had just died. Lauren told me that women often kept extra shoes in their desk, so maybe the worst hadn’t happened to the shoe’s owner. Or, we both thought, maybe it had.

We walked by JP Morgan at 60 Wall, the brass revolving doors I used to walk through every day. The company and the building I had until recently hated now seemed beaten, buried, insulted lost. For the first time in years, I felt affection for the building. I also remembered how, at the old JP Morgan building on the corner of Wall and Broad Street, there were pockmarks visible in the wall from a 1930’s anarchist bomber. It seemed relevant now to look at these pockmarks, and I guided Lauren to them and pointed them out — part of the standard Levi Asher tour of New York City architecture and trivia, now covered in the dust of a different kind of anarchy.

Alongside other pedestrians at the unreal corner of Wall Street and Broad Street, we stood helplessly, wondering what to do next. There was a peaceful silence in the air, and still that beautiful clear blue sky visible over our heads, above the cloud of dust. We now stood very close to the Trade Center site, but emergency vehicles were blocking our way on the corner of Wall Street and Broadway, so I led Lauren south on Broad Street. We exited the dust cloud temporarily on Water Street, and were glad to breathe fresh air again. Lauren had by now tired of asking me if we could turn back. We walked on, into quaint Battery Park at the city’s southern tip. We had now completely circled the site of the disaster, and because we were at the southern tip of Manhattan there were no emergency vehicles or roadblocks cutting off our access. We only had to re-enter the dust haze and walk north through Battery Park to reach the site itself.

I’m not sure if we walked up Greenwich Street or West Street. I only remember the horror as we stepped closer to the site itself and finally stopped at a scene that looked like the scene that is now memorialized in many photos: dust-blanketed firemen working in teams, lugging hoses, lifting, moving, organizing, calling to each other for help, their stern and sad faces overwhelmed. We stood and stared in horrible awe. Clearly we were too close to the activity, and we weren’t helping anything by standing there looking, but nobody was going to pause to tell us to go away.

Cars were overturned and violently crushed on all sides. We were now so close to the white cloud of smoke that I could see details inside it, and I finally studied it enough to see what I had been unable to see all afternoon. On the south corner, barely visible through the white smoke, stood the outline of the broken skeleton of the south tower. Or at least I think that’s what it was. Later I would try to return to this same corner and try to figure out what I might have been looking at. Maybe it was the wall of the fallen Marriot Hotel. I’m not sure, but I know that it was only at this moment that I understood what Lauren had meant when she said that the towers had collapsed. In retrospect, I’m sure this sounds stupid. But I hadn’t seen it on TV and I had been unwilling to comprehend. I now stared directly into the white cloud and realized there were no buildings left, just air, wisps of breeze merging with the thick white smoke.

I don’t know why we decided to step away from this primal scene. I guess it was too much to take. We both needed to breathe fresh air, and we walked westward into the Battery Park City complex. I was pretty much in shock at what I had only now begun to understand. As soon as we reached the Hudson River waterfront, a policeman stepped politely up to us. “We’re evacuating,” he said, and asked us to walk down the riverfront walkway to where an old tugboat was loading passengers.

“Where are you evacuating us to?” Lauren asked him. He shrugged; he didn’t know. At that moment another cop came over with a bicyclist who was refusing to be evacuated. By listening to the transaction between the bicyclist and the two cops, Lauren and I quickly understood that we had no choice but to do as instructed.

The bicyclist was arguing with the cop, who calmly told him, “Either you are getting on that boat or we are putting you on that boat.” They were as nice as they could be about it. One of them explained that they’d had reports that more buildings nearby might collapse any minute, and this was why we could not stay there

We had to step up onto an impromptu stepladder and balance precariously on the top step to make it onto the tugboat without falling into the Hudson River. The deck of the boat was completely bare, devoid of equipment, but the entire surface — every wall, every inch of deck — was covered in a thick coating of industrial grease. Lauren, in her flowery white dress, demurely stood without touching anything. She started talking to other passengers but I didn’t feel like talking.

Finally the boat began to cross the Hudson River. Nobody told us where we were going, but it was clear we were heading for the piers at Jersey City, a ride that would only take a few minutes. We all stared silently back at the disaster scene as we travelled. I looked at the broken ruins of the Winter Garden, a glass atrium which had been connected by a pedestrian bridge to the Trade Center. The Winter Garden’s glass roof was visibly smashed in. The sides of the Merrill Lynch and American Express buildings in the Battery Park City office complex looked as if they’d been ripped of a layer of skin.

The boat let us off at the Jersey City piers, where Lauren and I were embarrassed to be greeted by a kindly woman in a blue dress who stood behind a table of dixie cups filled with water. She handed us each a cup of water and a white towel to wipe the dust off our faces with. We smiled and thanked her, feeling guilty because we were not victims but just helpless bystanders. As we walked off, Lauren said “That was wrong, I feel bad.”

But now, as I think back to this day, I am not sorry I took a cup of water and a towel. This woman had a table filled with dixie cups and a basket of clean towels, with barely anybody to take them. Maybe we helped her think she had done something to help. And maybe in some way she really had.

Now that we were in New Jersey, it was pretty clear that our journey had been pointless and that it was time to find our way back to Manhattan and go home. Lauren and I discussed what to do next. Strangely, when I look back on it now, it strikes me how neither of us understood how major an event this was. Lauren had a date for an off-Broadway play that evening, and she kept trying to call her date or the theatre on her cell phone to see if the play was cancelled. I said to Lauren, “I think it will be cancelled”. But it is a sign of how clueless we both were at this moment that this obvious fact was not completely clear to either of us.

The Jersey City waterfront was crowded with silent people staring over the river at the burning white cloud. Lauren and I stood with them for a few moments, and noticed that people were looking at us as if we were survivors, since our clothes were covered in dust. As we watched, we noticed a building just north of the white cloud that seemed to be pouring a new thick spout of black smoke. There was an audible gasp from the crowd and we saw that the building had just collapsed, and a new, darker cloud of dust billowed evenly out under the larger white cloud. This was 7 World Trade Center, which had collapsed at 5:20 pm, just a few minutes before. So the cop who had evacuated us had been right when he’d explained that more buildings were collapsing.

We asked around about how to get back to Manhattan, and somebody told us how to walk to the PATH train station nearby. We didn’t know if the PATH trains would be operable, but when we reached the station we found that they were. In fact, to the credit of the New York and New Jersey public transportation systems, all trains and subways continued to operate through the disaster. Lauren and I found the train and headed towards Penn Station, in midtown Manhattan — back where we had started from.

I think Lauren was sick of me by now, and was glad for the chance to catch a train down to Greenwich Village and say goodbye.

I walked back to my apartment, got in, called my kids and spoke longer to them. They sounded fine, less upset than I was, at least as far as I could tell on the phone. I remember feeling how glad I was that I had already made plans to move back to Queens so I could live closer to them. The timing on this was good.

I got online and communicated with Caryn and a few other people who said they’d been worried about me, though they knew I didn’t work anywhere near the World Trade Center. I checked LitKicks and saw that everybody was posting to the message boards about what had happened, but I didn’t feel ready to post anything myself. I checked and was glad to see the site was up. But it wasn’t getting much attention, and neither would “Love and Theft” or anything else for the next few months.

I turned on CNN and only now saw the video footage the rest of the world had already seen. I think this is a measure of how screwed up my thinking was, but I was honestly surprised how much coverage the event got on the news. I wasn’t used to the rest of America caring about anything bad that happened in New York City.

I saw George Bush say that America was now in a state of war. I thought, “We are?” I did not feel capable of any analysis greater than that.

On Wednesday morning I went back downtown again. I walked on Sixth Avenue to read the hundreds of missing person posters that covered many walls. I stopped at the Empire State Building for a few minutes on the morning of September 12th to look up with love and gratitude at the skyscraper we hadn’t lost. I then looked around me and saw a few others staring up at it in the same revery.

This is a story without a moral. I don’t think I had an original thought or idea during the entire day of September 11. I spent a lot of it in a state of denial.

Maybe it was the next day that I started to understand what this day meant for the future of the world. Or maybe I don’t understand it still.

13 Responses

  1. Yes I do remember reading
    Yes I do remember reading excerpts from this when you had first posted it. This day will live in infamy. Surreal, I was in bed with NPR on the radio, couldn’t believe my ears, popped on the tv and then couldn’t believe my eyes. To think about this horrific event now as it obviously was a terrorist act and before that second plane hit there was speculation it could have been a terrible accident as bush must have thought while he sat reading the hungry goat.

  2. Forgive the naive question,
    Forgive the naive question, but did it ever come out that there was asbestos in those buildings? The description of the “wooly fibreglass” all over everything got me thinking.

    Also, Levi, your third last paragraph has a typo – “I stopped at the Empire State Building for a few minutes on the morning of September 12th to lookING up with love and gratitude at the skyscraper we hadn’t lost.”

    A very somber installment indeed.

  3. Thank you for posting this. I
    Thank you for posting this. I remembering feeling confused and talking often with my kids in the following days.

  4. I was in Paris on 9/11. I was
    I was in Paris on 9/11. I was walking down the street with my wife, and someone came up to us and said that a plane had hit the world trade center. I thought that it was a small plane, like a Cessna or something.

    We went back to our hotel. We were due to leave Paris the next day and fly back to the US. We turned on CNN, and it was then that the magnitude of what had happened became apparent. It was certainly no Cessna that hit the tower, but a giant passenger plane, fully loaded.

    For the next three or four days, transportation to the US ceased completely. Fear and panic reigned. I remember seeing American tourists and business people on their cell phones, desperately trying to get through to the airlines and find out what was going on.

    We just walked around Paris during the day and hung out in parks, reading all the newspapers to try and get an idea of what had happened. One thing I will never forget is the incredible sympathy that the French people felt for the US on the days immediately after the disaster.

    Finally, on Saturday, we were able to get a flight out of Paris. The scene at Charles De Gaulle airport was like a nightmare: huge lines everywhere, confused people wandering about, heavily armed French soldiers patrolling in groups – machine guns at the ready.

    After long delays, the plane took off. It stopped in Frankfort, where we had to get off and board a Lufthansa plane. The scene in the airport was the same – heavily armed police and soldiers and dazed passengers.

    As we headed over the Atlantic back to the US, I kept thinking : I hope nothing happens to this plane.

    When we landed at O’Hare in Chicago, the people on the plane actually cheered. We caught a cab back to the city. Everywhere people were driving around with two or three American flags waving from their cars. Restaurants were deserted. Everyone was inside their apartment, glued to the TV and paralyzed with fear.

    I felt as if I were in a George Orwell story or some bad Hollywood end of the world film. I noticed that a lot of people were walking around with the look of “crazed calm” that you described. It was also strange that a lot of people who normally hate and despise New York were suddenly wearing NYFD tee-shirts and doing an “ich bin ein New Yorker”.

    It was, to paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, a strange and terrible time.

  5. Were you in shock to be
    Were you in shock to be walking towards what was left of the towers? When I’ve encountered fires, I either ran away or went and got an extinguisher or a fire hose.

    I wish Americans would take their civil liberties back and get rid of Homeland Security, which is 1984ish name more than the Defense Department. Also I wish the Afghan and Iraqi fiascos had never happened and would end.

    I’ve been reading Dexter Wilkins’s The Forever War and what’s been done over there is wrong. The right approach is given in the book Three Cups of Tea but I am reminded of Winston Churchill’s comment that Americans always do the right thing after they’ve exhausted all other solutions. The author of Three Cups of Tea builds schools for grades 1~8 in remote areas of Pakistan. I always think that education is a solution but people are without any over there.

    If more people were educated, the military would have a harder time recruiting cannon fodder.

  6. the quiet narrative voice,
    the quiet narrative voice, from the last minute deadline crunch, to the deliberate walk, you and lauren in high heels, drawn to the center, dust covered yet the guilt in receiving help from the kindly woman – all this gives a tone, a dreaded surreal tone to a day beyond belief.

  7. Wow, this brought back
    Wow, this brought back memories. Most of which are not pleasant.

    My best friend Al perished in the tower collapse. I still cringe when I think of his last moments, how terrible they must’ve been.

    Ironically, he was also a musician, an awesome guitarist that the world never got to know. He taught me how to play and to this day my acoustic sits on a guitar stand once given to me by him.

  8. Steve, I remember you posting
    Steve, I remember you posting about your friend on the LitKicks boards back then …

  9. I am surprised, though I
    I am surprised, though I guess I shouldn’t be, at how gripping this was. You capture so much of that day as an eyewitness and yet as someone in the dark for hours.

    I felt very glad to be living in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, remote in the Ozarks at the time. I had no TV or internet and only AM country music and religious radio stations. I remember one good ol’ boy announcer saying, “They was Yankees — but they was OUR Yankees.”

    Terrific read.

  10. Your account was most
    Your account was most gripping. I am reminded of an acquaintance of mine who died in the Pentagon plane crash attack. I took the whole thing very personally. At the same time, my great aunt was dying in Connecticut and my great aunt never could wrap her mind around the fact that it was an attack until I described the second and third planes hitting the tower and the Pentagon. She, too, had not seen it on TV until later. I saw it on TV as the second plane hit the Towers and heard on the radio that the Pentagon had been hit.

    The attacks on TV reached the public high school where my daughter was going to at the time. She was really upset that the classes kept playing the news over and over. I tried not to watch the Pentagon ruins smoking and the Trade Towers falling but was almost mesmerized by the agony of those involved. I took it personally that I had known someone who was killed. I still haven’t gotten over it. My daughter still doesn’t like to watch the reruns of the tragedy and neither do I. It was our generation’s “Pearl Harbor” except it was done by a terrorist faction not by a nation state. My family and friends have become a lot more important since the horrific attacks. I feel a great loss even today thinking about everything New Yorkers and DC area folks went through at the time. I have greater empathy for folks in need during tragedies such as the above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What We're Up To ...

Litkicks will turn 30 years old in the summer of 2024! We can’t believe it ourselves. We don’t run as many blog posts about books and writers as we used to, but founder Marc Eliot Stein aka Levi Asher is busy running two podcasts. Please check out our latest work!