Beats In Time: A Literary Generation’s Legacy is a collection of the eighteen best articles about the Beat Generation from the archives of Literary Kicks. Personally selected from over a decade’s worth of material by Beat scholar and Literary Kicks founder Levi Asher, these eighteen articles offer a feisty, fresh look of the counter-cultural phenomenon that was invented by Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg and William S. Burroughs in the 1940s, that burst into popularity in the 1950s, and finally found a more enduring and more varied place in literary consciousness and pop culture during the age of the Internet.
Original, groundbreaking, serious, sensitive and funny, these essays will take you from the Grateful Dead’s Beat roots in San Francisco to a madhouse New York City audition for a movie version of Kerouac’s On The Road, from a funeral for William S. Burroughs in Kansas to a modern coffeehouse in Brooklyn, where Venice Beach writer Philomene Long explains how she once left a nunnery to become a Beat poet and hang out with Charles Bukowski.
Think you’ve already read everything there is to read about the Beat Generation? Check out Beats in Time and be surprised.
Beats In Time is available now for Kindle for $4.99. Other formats including print paperback, Apple, Kobo and Nook will be announced soon.
Table of Contents
INTRODUCTION by Levi Asher
1. CASSIDY’S TALE by John Perry Barlow
2. MY AUDITION FOR ‘ON THE ROAD’ by Levi Asher
3. RINGSIDE SEAT: GERALD NICOSIA VS. ANN CHARTERS AT N.Y.U. by Levi Asher
4. JOHN MONTGORMERY, DHARMA BUM by Jim Stedman
5. A NOTE FROM LOS GATOS: THE JOHN CASSADY INTERVIEW by Levi Asher
6. POETRY AT THE OLD LONGSHOREMAN’S HALL by Don Carpenter
7. THE DEATH OF ALLEN GINSBERG ON BEAT-L by various authors
8. SLICED BARDO: FOR WILLIAM S. BURROUGHS by Lee Ranaldo, Robert Creeley, Carolyn Cassady and Patricia Elliot
9. MARTY MATZ by Laki Vazakas
10. REMEMBERING JACK MICHELINE by Ray Freed
11. THIS IS MARRIAGE? THE BEAT GENERATION AND GREGORY CORSO’S ‘MARRIAGE’ by Sarah Duff
12. AN INTERVIEW WITH DIANE DIPRIMA by Joseph Matheny
13. GARY SYNDER AND ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISM by Jamelah Earle
14. AN INTERVIEW WITH ROBERT CREELEY by Jamelah Earle
15. THE SIX GALLERY: WHAT IT MEANT by Michael McClure
16. WHEN HIPPIES BATTLE: THE GREAT W. S. MERWIN/ALLEN GINSBERG BEEF OF 1975 by Levi Asher
17. DAVID AMRAM TALKS ABOUT MUSIC by Bill Ectric
18. PHILOMENE LONG: POET OF VENICE BEACH by Levi Asher
ABOUT LITERARY KICKS