I think I need to start a political blog, because I don’t really feel like writing about books while the carnage continues in Lebanon, Israel and Palestine. I know LitKicks is a literary website, but please bear with me.
Here’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day: “The differences between the Israelis and Palestinians are so great that war is inevitable.”
Differences? Differences! Yeah, I’m laughing. I can’t see a goddamn difference in the world. Let’s take a look:
1. Military leaders on both sides are willing to kill innocent civilians on the other side.
2. Journalists on both sides are shocked and horrified about the fact that the other side is willing to kill innocent civilians, but somehow fail to be shocked and horrified when their own side kills innocent civilians.
3. Both sides are acting in “self-defense” when they kill innocent civilians on the other side.
4. Both sides teach their children to hate the other.
5. Military leaders on both sides are increasing their popularity by continuing this war. The Hezbollah, Hamas and Israeli leaders who are currently killing innocent civilians are all being hailed as heroes right now by their own people.
6. Both sides are doing it “for God”.
7. There are a great number of reasonable and humane people on both sides. All of whom are crying helplessly right now because nobody will listen to them.
Differences? Name me a difference between Palestinians and Israelis, please.
Oh yeah, then there’s this:
8. Both sides won’t stop until “they win”.
I think I need to start a new kind of blog, because I don’t think I’m going to be able to stop talking about this anytime soon.