1. According to Rolling Stone
, Gus Van Sant's film version of Tom Wolfe's 60s-culture classic The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
will start shooting soon, and may feature Jack Black (bad idea) or Woody Harrelson (slightly better) as novelist and psychological adventurer Ken Kesey. Woody Harrelson might actually make more sense in the role of Beat legend Neal Cassady
, who drove the bus called Further during the real-life cross-country journey chronicled in Wolfe's book. He seems too old to play then-young Ken Kesey in this story, while Jack Black would have to severely rein in his comic instincts to avoid overpowering the role. I hope Gus Van Sant knows what he's doing here.
2. Meanwhile, George Murray of BookNinja gives a hopeful nod
to Steve Jacobs' soon-to-be-released film version of J. M. Coetzee's powerful Disgrace
, starring John Malkovich.
3. A Bertrand Russell comic
? Okay, though Russell was mostly bested by his star student Ludwig Wittgenstein.
4. The story of William Warder Norton
, founder of the influential book publishing firm that bears his name.
5. Philip K. Dick and Jack Spicer
6. Denis Johnson's newest novel is called Nobody Move
7. The earlist known dust jacket
for a book has been found.
8. New Directions has a blog