1. Mike Huckabee has written a book called Do The Right Thing? That’s not Do The Right Thing. This is Do The Right Thing:
(Note: yes, that’s Samuel Jackson telling everybody to chill at the end of the clip.)
2. There’ll be a yearlong Poe Festival in Baltimore. I have a feeling Caryn and I (plus some kids) will be checking it out.
3. Here’s a really interesting piece on Charles M. Schulz’s use of punctuation in Peanuts strips.
4. While we’re talking comics, let’s not forget Al Capp.
5. Or this guy.
6. Eric Rosenfeld of Wet Asphalt is launching a multi-post blog series to develop the idea that the legendary science-fiction novel Dune by Frank Herbert really sucks. Sounds like the kind of crazy idea I usually come up with.
7. Beatrice.com presents Deb Olin Unferth and Diane Vadino at the Mercantile Library on November 12 in New York City.
9. Ian McEwan on Barack Obama and Climate Change.
10. Andrew Leonard’s wonderful piece on John Leonard begins like this:
Feeling like a guilty grave robber ransacking a pharaoh’s tomb, I cleaned out my father’s sock drawer on Sunday.
It ends with the father, son and a nurse happily watching Colin Powell endorse Barack Obama in a hospital room.